If you are worried that someone might see that you have visited this page or our website you can find out how to cover your tracks online here: https://www.impactfs.co.uk/cover-your-tracks-online.

We want to make sure that everyone knows that they have the right to find out if their partner has a record with the police. 

If you are worried about a current partner or ex-partner’s behaviour and believe they could be abusive then you have the right to know. Clare’s law allows anyone to make an application to the police requesting information. 

The scheme is named after Clare Wood, who was murdered by her abusive ex-boyfriend in 2009. It was formally rolled out in England and Wales in 2014, following the landmark campaign led by Clare’s father Michael Brown.

Who can apply for Clare’s Law?

Anyone can make a Clare’s Law request whether they believe their own partner / ex partner is at risk of being violent or abusive or whether they are worried about a family member or friend. The police may choose to only disclose information to the person at risk. 

How do I make a Clare’s Law request? 

You can make a Clare’s Law request by filling in the form at this website: https://services.northumbria.police.uk/online-services-start/safeguarding-disclosure/

Please note that this form is not monitored 24/7 and it should not be used in an emergency if you are in immediate danger. If you or anyone else you know is in danger of imminent domestic abuse then call 999. 

You can find out more information on how to make a silent 999 call here (link to ‘how to make a silent 999 call’ post)

Will my partner find out I have been in contact with the police? 

No. The Clare’s Law application is completely anonymous so you do not need to worry about the police contacting your partner. 

Are you unsure on what domestic abuse looks like? Head to this article to find out more.